How much do you know about sex? Take our quiz!
Scroll down for answers and explanations.
1. Wearing two condoms is twice as safe
False. It’s actually a bigger risk to wear two at the same time because the friction could cause them to break.
2. You can’t get pregnant if you have sex standing up
False. There is a risk of pregnancy no matter the position.
3. There’s no risk of STIs if you’re on the pill
False. The pill doesn’t protect against STIs, only against pregnancy. A condom is the safest way to protect against both.
4. It’s important to lose your virginity before you’re 18
False. What’s important is to lose it when you feel ready. (No one will even know unless you tell them.)
The average age to lose your virginity is 16 (for men and women). 1 in 5 young males and nearly half of all young women said they wished they had waited longer to start having sex.
(source FPA (National Survey of sexual attitudes lifestyles (NATSAL 2000)).
5. Masturbation is a normal way to learn about your body
True. Masturbation can be a positive thing (although it’s not for everyone). It’s nothing to be ashamed of and it isn’t harmful.
6. People are attracted to different things
True. We’re all different and that’s a good thing!
7. If you agree to have sex you can’t change your mind later
False. You can change your mind at any time. This video explains it very well:
8. It’s against the law for someone over 18 to have sex with someone under 16
True. The age of consent is 16, and you are legally considered a child until you are 18.
9. For how long after unprotected sex can emergency contraception be used?
Up to 72 hours
Within 24 hours
[*] Both of the above
None of the above
Technically 72 hours is the maximum length of time, but the sooner the better. The longer you leave it, the higher your chances of pregnancy.
10. If I ask for advice on sex from a professional, they will tell my parents
False. Pharmacists, sexual health clinics and doctors can all answer your questions. Provided they believe you fully understand your situation (and you’re not at risk) they won’t tell your parents.
Got more questions? Awesome!
Talk to us in confidence for free about whatever’s on your mind:
Meic: Someone on your side
08:00am – Midnight
7 days a week
Call: 080 880 23456